Using Addon Domains in cPanel
With our service you can have multiple sites per account which can saves you money, so if you have your own domain (eg. .COM, .NET, .ORG, etc...) you can easily add it to an existing cPanel account as an Addon domain to create a separate website within the same account.
Adding Your Domain
First you need to determine your nameservers, these can be found numerous ways, the easiest of which is to refer back to the original account details e-mail where they will be listed as ns1.example.org and ns2.example.org.
An alternative to this method is to query your existing domain on the account via nslookup available on most computers through the command prompt.
- Open a command prompt on your computer
You should see a response like:
> set type=ns > example.com Server: 192.168.1.1 Address: 192.168.1.1#53 Non-authoritative answer: example.com nameserver = a.iana-servers.net. example.com nameserver = b.iana-servers.net.
In this case the nameservers for the domain already on the account would be
b.iana-servers.net which is what we should use for new domain additions.
Now that we have our nameservers we can exit nslookup by running:
Adding the domain to cPanel
- Login to your domain registrar control panel
- Remove any existing nameserver (NS) records from the domain you want to add
- Add those for your cPanel account obtained earlier from the welcome e-mail or nslookup
- Go to your cPanel
- Click on Addon Domains
- Under the Create an Add-on Domain header, type the domain name you're adding next to New Domain
- Click into the next box below for Subdomain/Ftp Username and it should populate both that field and the one below
- Type a password into the Password box that rates 50 at least in strength
- Re-type the password in the Password (again) box
- Click Add Domain
If your DNS has been updated properly you will receive a success message and the appropriate files will be created in your file structure to use the domain.
If you receive an error, the issue is most likely that not enough time has passed between changing the nameservers and adding the domain, it can take upto 24~72 hours, however usually less than 4 hours in most cases.
Removing an Add-on Domain
- Login to cPanel
- Click on Addon Domains
- Below the Modify Add-on Domain header, click the Remove button next to the domain you want to remove
This will remove only the domain from the account, databases and files will remain intact.
If you intend on re-adding it later allow at least one (1) hour to pass before attempting to add the domain to the same or any other account you may have and remember, DNS changes such as nameserver records take 24~72 hours before fully applied.