Managing Database Data with phpMyAdmin
phpMyAdmin is a de facto standard for administrating databases in an easy point-n-click manner.
- Login to your website control panel
- Click on phpMyAdmin
- Click Connect to this Database next to the database you want to manage
Once launched you will see a screen showing all of the tables within that database, if you have multiple scripts using the same database each will show its own prefix in the table names such as forum_, phpbb_, wp_ and more.
The tabs at the top allow you to do many functions and operations on your database...
- Structure displays all of the current tables in an overview
- SQL allows you to run SQL queries and statements directly
- Search allows you to build and perform searches within your database tables
- Query allows you to build complex queries to run on your database
- Export allows you to create backups of your database
- Import allows you to import backups or other SQL files
- Operations allows you to easily create new tables and more
If you were to check a table and select the drop-down menu at the bottom of the list you can perform a number of tasks...
- Empty allows you to remove ALL records within the selected table(s)
- Drop allows you to completely remove the selected table(s)
- Print View generates a reference guide
- Check performs error checking on your tables
- Optimize performs a performance check and ensures data and structure are in optimum configuration
- Repair checks for errors and repairs them if found
- Analyze collects information about the table, validates its structure and identifies issues
Opening a table you will be able to see individual field structures within that table, by selecting a check box you can perform operations with that row including editing and more via the icons below.
For more information...
This is a very brief article covering the basics of phpMyAdmin, you should refer to http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Articles#English and documentation available within phpMyAdmin for more in-depth information.
Content and instructions found on third-party sites and services may not be complete, accurate or applicable in whole or part, reliance upon third-party content is solely at your own discretion and risk.