Setup FTP with Webmin on Debian
Installing FTP support with webmin is a little more involved but here's how to do it based on a new VPS configuration.
- Login to your VPS via SSH
apt-get install proftpd
echo "/bin/false" >> /etc/shells
Now that we have the software installed and the shell configured, it's time to go to add support to webmin to control it:
- Login to webmin (https://YOURVPSIP:10000)
- Access the Webmin Modules option via Webmin > Webmin Configuration
- Select Standard module from www.webmin.com
- Click the button on the right of that option
- Choose: proftpd
- Click Install Module
- On the left sidebar, after installation, click Refresh Modules
- Click Create a new user accessed via System > Users and Groups
- Provide a username for what is to be your FTP account (ex. siteftp)
- Select the Shell: /bin/false
- Select Normal Password and provide a unique, complex password for the account
- Select New Group with same name as user
- Click Create
You have now created your user that will be used to access their own files and directories and nothing more.
- Do not use the FTP account for much else, do not grant it ROOT privileges and consider avoiding using SSH for it altogether
- This is designed for a single site setup, you can expand on this but that is beyond the scope of this tutorial, the concepts are the same however.